Thursday 18 August 2011

How do You Organise Your Desktop?



I notice many of my colleagues and friends tend to have lots of icons on their Windows desktop. I, for one, hate to have cluttered desktop as it takes too long to locate an icon/document on the desktop.

I generally 2 types of icons on the desktop: shortcuts to application or folder, and documents. I use a simple strategy to organise my desktop:

Only put the most frequently used shortcuts on the desktop.
Make full use of the 4 corners of the desktop.
Top left corner is used for shortcuts of applications
Top right corner is used for shortcuts of most frequently used folders. As I put most of my working documents in "My Documents", it is there at the top right corner. For documents that I cannot work on now, but need to revisit sometime in future, I put them in "Actions Required" folder which has its shortcut on the desktop too. Along with these folders are the C drive (HDD) and D drive (CD/DVD drive).
Bottom left corner is the temporary place holder for documents that I plan to read or work on. These documents are likely to thrashed after I gone through them before the end of the week.
Bottom right corner is the thrash bin. Its location on the right makes it easy for me to drag unwanted files to it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More